The Baths of Caracalla (terme di Caracalla) are some of the best preserved ancient buildings of the Roman times. The Roman thermal baths can be found along the ancient Appian Way, and in their time they were Rome’s second largest public baths, accommodating some 1600 bathers. Caracalla’s father, Septimius Severus commissioned the baths and after his death the project was completed by his son Caracalla in 216 A.D. This building is among the most monumental and imposing archeological complexes of the entire Imperial epoch. There were three main bath chambers: the frigidarium, or cold room; the caldarium, or hot room; and the tepidarium, or lukewarm room. Between the frigidarium and the tepidarium was the great hall, roofed by an enormous vault with clerestory windows, a prototype of the vaulted naves of medieval churches. There were also large open-air swimming pools. Marble was used lavishly, and sculpture, mosaics, frescoes, and other decorations ornamented the interior.